10 Best Hand Planers | April 2017
We spent 20 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top selections for this wiki. If you know that a rabbet is not a cute, fluffy creature, and frogs don't just croak and live in ponds, then you may be interested in our selection of hand planers. They will produce the perfect finish to any woodworking job, and come in a range of prices to suit the budgets of both home DIYers and professional carpenters. Skip to the best hand planer on Amazon.
The Stanley 12-404 Adjustable Bench plane has a precision-ground bottom and sides, and a durable epoxy coating that is made for long-lasting protection. Plus it has a quick release cam-lock for blade removal that saves you time.
- contoured and polished knobs
- also has a 2-inch cutter
- knife controls are in an odd location
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Kunz 151 Flat Spokeshave is a versatile tool that can be used on both flat and convex surfaces with ease. It has two adjustment knobs for precise tuning and setting of the blade. This is a fine tool for decorative carpentry.
- lever cap to hold blade in place
- blade made from quality german steel
- takes a while for correct tuning
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
The Woodstock D3831 Block Plane has a low blade angle suitable for both the face grain and end grain of many types of wood. Its bronze and cast iron construction makes it not only durable, but visually appealing as well.
- adjustable throat opening
- blade is 1-3/8 inches wide
- requires coarse sharpening before use
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
The RALI 260L Pro has a unique design that allows it to accept both a re-sharpenable blade as well as RALI's reversible and replaceable blades. Its automatic alignment promises blade changes taking ten seconds or less.
- order includes one of each type of blade
- fingertip control lever adjusts blade
- virtually indestructible
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
The GreatNeck C4 Bench-Jack Plane has a hardened and tempered two-inch wide cutter that should last for years of use under normal conditions, as it can be re-sharpened numerous times. Use this plane for both coarse and fine work.
- polished body helps blade glide
- block plane requires minimal adjustment
- brand has 95+ years experience
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Grizzly H7567 Duplex Rabbet is finely cast and precision milled to cut perfect rabbets in about the time it takes to set up a jointer or shaper. Its threaded depth adjusting screw promises precise work.
- two cutter positions
- includes an adjustable fence
- edge spur for crisp edges
|Rating||4.4 / 5.0|
The Record 05RXXX Jack Bench is perfect for stock removal and for the preliminary squaring of rough lumber. The tungsten vanadium cutter takes and holds a razor-sharp edge, and the whole unit is backed by a lifetime warranty.
- cast iron lever cap
- works with both hard and soft wood
- brass adjusting nut for fine seating
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Stanley 12-139 Bailey has an adjustable mouth, a thick steel blade, and a one-piece precision ground frog and base casting, plus it has a substantial weighty feel that helps you make the most of all those features.
- precision machined base
- great for cross-grain work
- solid brass knobs for smooth operation
|Rating||4.7 / 5.0|
If you're on a budget but you still want a quality hand planer, then try the Shop Fox D2672. It's an easily adjustable model that is perfect for use at home or in the shop, as long as you're not going to use it for precision work.
- accurate adjustment mechanism
- easy to use low-angle design
- easy to get precision milling
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|
The WoodRiver #5 V3 bench Plane is based on the celebrated Bedrock tool line's design and features fully machined adjustable frogs and high carbon steel blades that cut through all types of wood. It's a great gift for woodworkers.
- lightly finished bubinga handles
- soles and sides are machined flat
- heavy 5 pound castings
|Rating||4.8 / 5.0|