The 10 Best Internal Frame Backpacks
We spent 24 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top selections for this wiki. For those who take their camping and hiking seriously, we have put together a comprehensive selection of internal frame backpacks. Boasting capacities as large as 100 liters, they should enable anyone to tote everything they need for an extended stay in the wilderness. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best internal frame backpack on Amazon.
10. OutdoorMaster 70L+5L
The OutdoorMaster 70L+5L has a lot of features at a reasonable price for those just getting into hiking. There are pockets all over for anything imaginable and the zippers are easy to access, thanks to the plastic pulls, but the shoulder straps aren't very comfortable.
- clip for hydration hose on the strap
- two axe loops on the rear
- doesn't have a great fit like others
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
9. SOG Barrage Tactical
If you want a sturdy, compact backpack that won't break the bank, the SOG Barrage Tactical is a solid choice. It features left and right hydration hose ports with Velcro closures and a rear-access hydration compatible pouch, but it doesn't have great ventilation.
- plenty of small interior pockets
- strong top carry handle
- straps are not reinforced
|Brand||SOG Specialty Knives|
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
8. Wasing 55L
The Wasing 55L is a durable and useful backpack that rests comfortably on your hips while hiking. It has a rubber backing for added protection and an extension collar with two drawstrings on the top that can increase the main compartment capacity by 5 liters.
- sternum strap with a whistle buckle
- can be used as carry-on luggage
- not large enough for week-long trips
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
7. Gonex Tactical
The Gonex Tactical will serve you well on long rugged adventures, thanks to its water and tear resistant 900 denier Oxford construction and enormous 100 liter capacity. It can easily accommodate all of your gear, including a tent, sleeping bag, blankets, jackets, and more.
- extra wide shoulder straps
- 8 different adjustable sizes
- only available in black
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
6. Mountaintop 5805III
The Mountaintop 5805III is a versatile choice for camping, hiking and backpacking, made of a water-resistant rip-stop polyester that repels water nicely. It also has a waterproof rain cover stored in the back pocket, should you need full protection from heavy rain.
- d-shape hooks and bottom loops
- distributes the weight evenly
- mesh side pockets aren't very deep
|Rating||4.4 / 5.0|
5. TETON Sports Explorer 4000
At under $60, the TETON Sports Explorer 4000 is a great deal loaded with features that you usually find in more expensive models. It has a padded interior bladder pocket that can accommodate up to 3 liters, plus both shoulder straps have hydration tube bungees.
- fits large and small frames
- top zippered pocket for accessories
- stitching is not reinforced
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
4. Gregory Mountain Products Wander
With its adjustable VersaFit suspension design, the Gregory Mountain Products Wander makes a great fit for smaller-framed users. Although it's a bit on the pricey side, it can hold up to 70 liters of equipment, making it ideal for extended stays in the backcountry.
- top cinch closure for quick access
- super durable polyester construction
- ideal for teenagers
|Rating||4.3 / 5.0|
3. High Sierra Appalachian 75
The High Sierra Appalachian 75 is a dependable choice that provides a customized fit for maximum comfort while exploring. It has a top load main compartment for easy access and a molded foam back panel with airflow channels to keep your back cool and dry.
- built-in rain fly
- comes in 3 stylish colors
- has a water bladder compartment
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|
2. TETON Sports Scout 3400
The TETON Sports Scout 3400 is a sought-after quick trip backpack due to its amazing price and 55 liter storage capacity. It provides a great support system for your back thanks to the durable dual aluminum frame that contours naturally to your shoulders and waist.
- lightweight at under 5 pounds
- multi-position torso adjustment
- gear loops to hang accessories
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
1. Osprey Aether 70
The men's Osprey Aether 70 boasts a clean, lightweight design with versatile features that make this a best-selling model. It features dual access side pockets and an IsoForm CM hip belt that adds just the right amount of stiffness and padding for heavy loads.
- strong j-zipper on the front panel
- top pocket converts to a lumbar pack
- handy sleeping bag compartment
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|