The 10 Best Baby Gates For Stairs
We spent 26 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top choices for this wiki. Everyone you meet will let you know that having a baby changes your life, but only real friends tell you how much it changes your house. Containing new crawlers isn't as easy as putting up a movable barrier wherever: pressure mounted gates don't provide the safety needed for the top of the stairs, for instance. This list of hardware mounted options will help bring peace of mind to your home. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best baby gate for stairs on Amazon.
10. Evenflo Easy Walk Thru
The Evenflo Easy Walk Thru doesn't require you to abandon convenience in the name of security. Gates that swing both ways aren't highly recommended for stairs, but this unit's red/green indicator makes avoiding user error as straightforward as reading a traffic light.
- no bar at bottom to trip over
- extremely durable
- plastic lock loosens over time
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
9. Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide
Looking for a solution for a spiral staircase, metal banisters, or other atypical setups? The Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide isn't the product of choice for ordinary situations, but unconventional circumstances still require safety measures.
- modular for varied uses
- folds flat for storage
- latch easy enough for smart toddlers
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
8. Kidco Safeway
Not all areas that need to be restricted are made equally, and the Kidco Safeway is built with this in mind. With hinge-side hardware that can be fitted at an angle and a heavy duty steel construction, it's able to be fastened where others couldn't.
- also pens in the most excited pets
- simple and fast installation
- can be jostled open
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
7. Supergate Easy Swing & Lock
The Supergate Easy Swing & Lock opens by lifting up the bar while depressing a lever, a basic trick that is much too complicated for a child. It is also slightly wider than most models, making it perfect for those areas where others won't reach.
- swings in one direction
- easily left ajar when not in use
- slightly difficult installation
|Rating||4.8 / 5.0|
6. Cardinal Gates Stairway Special
The Cardinal Gates Stairway Special is designed from the ground up for use as a top of the stairs barrier. With extensions included and a powder-coated surface for easy cleaning, this somewhat expensive option will not disappoint.
- up to 30-degree angle positioning
- complicated mechanism thwarts kids
- latch is awkwardly positioned
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
5. Munchkin Easy-Close Metal
The Munchkin Easy-Close Metal has a steel frame that keeps it firmly in place. This versatile product comes with a hardware mount for use atop stairs or it can use pressure elsewhere. Other additions include stoppers and tools for full service anywhere in the home.
- limited 1-year warranty included
- video instructions for installation
- base lock defines opening direction
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
4. Summer Infant Deluxe Wood
Just because something looks austere doesn't make it more secure. With its antique oak finish, the Summer Infant Deluxe Wood shows that the inverse can be just as true. Guests will have no trouble with the latch, making this a strong contender for parents who entertain.
- precision fit kit for measuring
- installs at four points
- comfortable release handle
|Rating||4.3 / 5.0|
3. Munchkin Loft Aluminum
Function and form come together in the chic Munchkin Loft Aluminum. Its full hinge-to-hinge swing means your entryway doesn't shrink, and the quick release mechanism makes temporary removal simple. On top of all that, it adjusts to fit uneven walls during installation.
- latching only requires a push
- aluminum chosen for strength
- attractively thin profile
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
2. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco
The Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco is an all-purpose item able to be affixed in entryways using pressure or at the top of stairs with hardware. Its slight arch and beige or bronze color choices ensure that guests will find it striking.
- includes removable door stopper
- accommodates wide openings
- automatically locks when swung shut
|Rating||4.8 / 5.0|
1. Smart Retract Retract-A-Gate
The Smart Retract Retract-A-Gate covers 52" or 72" openings. Unlike other models, the tough mesh pulls back into the mount for access to walled-off areas when needed, and holds tight when closed. Even the most clamber-happy kids are unlikely to tear it.
- washable fabric
- very light at only 4 pounds
- nearly silent operation
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|