The 8 Best SAT Prep Books
We spent 27 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. Achieving a high score on the SAT begins months in advance, and it's dependent on having the correct resources at your disposal. With that in mind, we've put together a quick list of the best print and interactive materials for understanding the test, making the most of its format, increasing your confidence, and boosting your performance. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best sat prep book on Amazon.
8. Ivy Global's Test Guide
Ivy Global's Test Guide features scholarly articles on how to boost your exam scores via The New York Times, The Atlantic, The Wall Street Journal, and more. This guide's three sample tests are fairly similar to the actual exam format, although there are some minor flaws.
- website complements the book
- includes 500 math drill problems
- select test answers aren't explained
|Publisher||Ivy Global's Test Guide|
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
7. Strategic Testing Black Book
If you're looking for some hidden tactics and little-known keys for boosting your standardized scores, this Strategic Testing Black Book can provide you with 300-plus pages worth of tips for saving time, identifying patterns, and using logic to determine the right choice.
- includes links to video tutorials
- offers guidance on writing essays
- doesn't come with any sample tests
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
6. McGraw-Hill's Standardized Test Manual
McGraw-Hill's Standardized Test Manual offers an affordable way to learn about how the college board exam has changed, and why. Although the eight sample tests in this manual are comprehensive, they are also largely based upon traditional concepts, as opposed to new fare.
- goal-setting app is included
- written by professional instructors
- math formulas aren't fully explained
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
5. Barron's Study Guide
Barron's Study Guide provides an up-to-date breakdown of the College Board's scoring methods, test sections, and subjects. Students can complete sample exams by way of a bonus CD-ROM, with the only downside being that the math questions don't offer a lot of range.
- diagnostic drills assess weaknesses
- available for kindles
- chapters aren't well-organized
|Publisher||Barron's Study Guide|
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
4. 1,500+ Test Questions
1,500+ Test Questions can do wonders for your confidence, thanks to coordinated drills designed to spark your reasoning skills, while minimizing your response time. This manual provides numerous well-written chapters, yet it only offers one full-length practice exam.
- entire section is devoted to grammar
- material is concise and to the point
- drills get tougher as book goes on
|Publisher||1,500+ Test Questions|
|Rating||4.3 / 5.0|
3. Six Practice Tests by The Princeton Review
If practice makes perfect, then these Six Practice Tests by The Princeton Review should dramatically increase your chances of performing well on any upcoming exam. This edition features new content, including proven techniques for how to maximize your score.
- contains expert guidance
- replicates the way exam is set up
- tests take a long time to self-score
|Publisher||Six Practice Tests by T|
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
2. Premier Practice Manual by Kaplan
The Premier Practice Manual by Kaplan works in tandem with a free online resource center. Students can log on to read the latest testing news, watch video tutorials, or complete one of three full-length practice exams, any of which can be scored digitally within seconds.
- manual contains two additional tests
- online scoring includes diagnostics
- comes with a money-back guarantee
|Publisher||Premier Practice Manual|
|Rating||4.8 / 5.0|
1. College Board's Official Study Guide
The College Board's Official Study Guide is chock-full of the most beneficial preparatory exercises, practice drills, and expert advice you can find. Written by the same team that designs the actual exam, this book is the best source there is for bolstering your score.
- features practice essay questions
- addresses new test formats
- targets specific math concepts
|Rating||4.5 / 5.0|