The 7 Best Ascenders
While these ascenders are, of course, perfect for helping mountain and rock climbers scale the highest peaks, they can just be just as useful for other professionals working in high elevations, such as painters, electricians, roofers and arborists. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best ascender on Amazon.
7. Petzl Pantin Foot Ascender
Any experienced climber will agree that it's always easier to use leg power than arm power. Thus the popularity of devices like the Petzl Pantin Foot Ascender, which allows you to make productive use of your quadriceps as you ascend cliffs, trees, or buildings.
- varied spike sizes for proper grip
- backed by 3-year warranty
- confusing to learn proper use
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
6. Leadrise Outdoor Equipment Shengbang
The Leadrise Outdoor Equipment Shengbang is one of most affordable options around that is nonetheless respected by experienced climbers. It is slightly heavier than other options in its category, but it can accommodate ropes as large as 13 mm.
- safely grips wet or dirty ropes
- good choice for rescue personnel
- relatively low 220 lb max safe load
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
5. Petzl Ascension
The Petzl Ascension is considered by many climbers to be the pinnacle piece of gear in the category. And while it is certainly one of the most pricey options, its quality is undeniable. The unit has a large ergonomic upper section suitable for grasping with your free hand.
- overmolded dual-density grip
- wide bottom hole for attaching gear
- chrome plating over steel
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
4. KwikSafety Chest Ascender
The KwikSafety Chest Ascender is an invaluable tool for those long, grueling climbs, especially when you are lifting copious amounts of gear up the mountain. By linking to a torso harness, it distributes weight around your body.
- anodized exterior
- good choice for arborists
- requires pairing with other ascender
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
3. Kong Climbing Lift
The Kong Climbing Lift is a device trusted by experienced mountaineers all over the globe. It has also been both CE and UIAA certified as safe and effective. This ascender features an ergonomically contoured and padded hand grip.
- aluminum with steel inserts
- weighs less than half a pound
- suitable for ropes between 8-12 mm
|Rating||4.7 / 5.0|
2. Joezon Forging Chest Ascender
The Joezon Forging Chest Ascender is a great choice for the painter, electrician, roofer, or other professional who needs to work with his or her hands while high off the ground. It allows for safe, comfortable support with no need to have your hands on the rope.
- magnesium alloy construction
- high visibility color
- self-cleaning cam slot
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
1. GM Climbing
Considering you receive both a left and right hand ascender in this package from GM Climbing, you will be hard pressed to find other gear that is of such fine quality at such a reasonable price. The two units are easy to differentiate based on their coloring.
- multiple holes for equipment
- single-finger cam engagement
- great reviews from climbers
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|