10 Best Auto Follow Drones | March 2017
We spent 25 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top choices for this wiki. If you want to take "selfies" into a whole other level, try one of these auto follow drones. Boasting high quality image and video recording capabilities, their unique feature is that they allow you to set yourself up as the center of the action and the drone will follow you wherever you go and whatever you do, be it skiing, snowboarding or, well, you get the idea. Skip to the best auto follow drone on Amazon.
Photographers will appreciate the 16 MP still images and full HD video the AEE Technology AP11 produces. It has a gimbal auto-stabilized camera with live first person view streaming to your phone or tablet and an automatic position hold and hover feature.
- 10" propellers for maximum stability
- return home fail safe protocol
- hard for beginners to fly
The 3DR IRIS+ has a 400 gram payload capacity and a streamlined frame without a lot of the bulk you see in other drones. It features integrated LEDs on all arms for trouble-free directional awareness, so fly it at night or during the day without worrying.
- can be controlled from your tablet
- pixhawk autopilot system
- need to update firmware before flying
The Walkera Scout X4 features waypoint mission planning with the ability to hold up 128 waypoints, which allows you to preprogram a flight path & your drone will automatically follow it without you having to do any manual piloting. Plus it has a one key return home button.
- can add up to 4 more motors
- intelligent orientation control
- comes with a protective travel case
The Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon has a 16 MP, full HD 1080p, 60 FPS camera that produces bright and vivid recordings with stunning clarity. It also boasts an impressively long 20-25 minute flight time and is certainly capable of giving drones twice the price a run for their money.
- gimbal provides excellent cam stability
- 5.5" touchsreen on the st10+ controller
- almost no fisheye distortion on videos
The DJI Phantom 4 is arguably the best consumer level drone available. It supports every feature you can think of, like auto takeoff and return home, live video transmission, and even comes with DJI director software for editing drone videos.
- captures 4k ultra hd video at 30 fps
- hover function for smooth recordings
- f/2.8 lens has a broad field of view
Most drones with a follow me feature cost well over $500, but not the Hubsan H501S X4. It costs roughly half that and is still packed with features, like GPS hold, return to home and headless flight modes, making it great for a range of flying styles.
- gets 19 minutes of flight time
- 300' video transmission distance
- great for fpv flying
The AirDog AD10 is the only drone designed solely for autonomous following. It actually doesn't even come with a controller. Instead it uses an 820-foot AirLeash that allows it to maintain full focus on the action. Plus it is foldable for compact travel.
- top speed of 40 mph
- ground collision avoidance system
- very stable in high winds up to 27 mph