10 Best Auto Follow Drones | April 2017
We spent 25 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top choices for this wiki. If you want to take "selfies" into a whole other level, try one of these auto follow drones. Boasting high quality image and video recording capabilities, their unique feature is that they allow you to set yourself up as the center of the action and the drone will follow you wherever you go and whatever you do, be it skiing, snowboarding or, well, you get the idea. Skip to the best auto follow drone on Amazon.
The 3DR Solo has a cool video game style controller that will feel instantly familiar to gamers, even if you've never flown a drone before. This results in less of a learning curve, so you can fly like a pro on the first day and quickly move onto aerial stunts.
- single touch flight pause button
- can adjust camera angle remotely
- need to pay extra for gimbal package
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Blade Chroma CGO2+ is easier to fly than many of the higher end drones, making it a good choice for somebody with limited piloting experience, but who still wants a quality drone. Plus its controller has a live video display and it comes with a 4K camera.
- integrated gps gets good reception
- settable & adjustable flight boundaries
- gets pushed around by the wind a bit
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
If you don't need the best auto follow drone out there and want to try your hand at the hobby before spending a ton of cash, then the JYU Hornet S might be what you are looking for. It has most of the features you need and is pretty easy to fly.
- aerodynamic high speed flight design
- 800 meter flight range
- no video screen on remote control
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
Photographers will appreciate the 16 MP still images and full HD video the AEE Technology AP11 produces. It has a gimbal auto-stabilized camera with live first person view streaming to your phone or tablet and an automatic position hold and hover feature.
- 10" propellers for maximum stability
- return home fail safe protocol
- hard for beginners to fly
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
The 3DR IRIS+ has a 400 gram payload capacity and a streamlined frame without a lot of the bulk you see in other drones. It features integrated LEDs on all arms for trouble-free directional awareness, so fly it at night or during the day without worrying.
- can be controlled from your tablet
- pixhawk autopilot system
- need to update firmware before flying
|Rating||4.4 / 5.0|
The Walkera Scout X4 features waypoint mission planning with the ability to hold up 128 waypoints, which allows you to preprogram a flight path & your drone will automatically follow it without you having to do any manual piloting. Plus it has a one key return home button.
- can add up to 4 more motors
- intelligent orientation control
- comes with a protective travel case
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
The Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon has a 16 MP, full HD 1080p, 60 FPS camera that produces bright and vivid recordings with stunning clarity. It also boasts an impressively long 20-25 minute flight time and is certainly capable of giving drones twice the price a run for their money.
- gimbal provides excellent cam stability
- 5.5" touchsreen on the st10+ controller
- almost no fisheye distortion on videos
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
The DJI Phantom 4 is arguably the best consumer level drone available. It supports every feature you can think of, like auto takeoff and return home, live video transmission, and even comes with DJI director software for editing drone videos.
- captures 4k ultra hd video at 30 fps
- hover function for smooth recordings
- f/2.8 lens has a broad field of view
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|
Most drones with a follow me feature cost well over $500, but not the Hubsan H501S X4. It costs roughly half that and is still packed with features, like GPS hold, return to home and headless flight modes, making it great for a range of flying styles.
- gets 19 minutes of flight time
- 300' video transmission distance
- great for fpv flying
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|
The AirDog AD10 is the only drone designed solely for autonomous following. It actually doesn't even come with a controller. Instead it uses an 820-foot AirLeash that allows it to maintain full focus on the action. Plus it is foldable for compact travel.
- top speed of 40 mph
- ground collision avoidance system
- very stable in high winds up to 27 mph
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|