The 9 Best Extension Cords
We spent 27 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top choices for this wiki. If you're positioning lighting and electronics in your home or office, running power tools in the garage, or using landscaping equipment in the back yard, you'll almost certainly need one or more of these extension cables to keep everything powered up. We've included models good for indoor use as well as some that are perfect for outdoor decorations. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best extension cord on Amazon.
9. Ubercords 3 Prong
If you just need a few more feet of cable on an appliance or two around your home or office, the Ubercords 3 Prong could be the right choice for you. This quality item can help increase the effectiveness of your space without cluttering the area with excess wire.
- great for kitchen appliances
- available in 3 different sizes
- longest model is only 15 feet
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
8. Axis 45505
Featuring 3 separate outlets and an 8-foot length, the very low-cost Axis 45505 was designed for indoor use with appliances that require a grounded power source. Its plug's low-profile, right-angle head gives it the ability to fit unobtrusively in most sockets.
- available in six different colors
- hanging loop on the end
- sockets are somewhat loose
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
7. Tripp Lite Standard
The Tripp Lite Standard is rated for a ten amp load and is sold in four sizes up to a 25-foot length. Made of 18 gauge wire, its construction is thinner and more flexible than other options, so it works well for indoor use.
- adheres to rohs safety standards
- covered by lifetime warranty
- not for heavy-duty applications
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
6. Master Electrician Landscape
Available in both green and white vinyl, the Master Electrician Landscape is great for permanent or temporary lawn fixtures ranging from holiday decorations to waterfalls in a backyard koi pond. Its 16-gauge, 3-wire setup is sufficient for almost any application.
- resistant to oil and the elements
- purpose-built for outdoor use
- only available in 20-foot length
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
5. Coleman Cable Slender Plug
The angled orientation of the 12-foot-long Coleman Cable Slender Plug keeps the wall outlet free of clutter and open for other devices, enabling you to get the most out of your home wiring and making this a great option for use in a home office or professional setting.
- polarized and grounded design
- sits nearly flush against wall
- for indoor use only
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
4. Prime Wire EC50
The 50-foot-long, 16-gauge Prime Wire EC50 is a great medium-duty cord for use with lawn equipment such as leaf blowers, weed whackers, or hedge trimmers. It's also a good choice for holiday lights or other powered outdoor decorations.
- nickel-plated plug won't corrode
- fire-resistant construction
- popular and affordable purchase
|Brand||Prime Wire & Cable|
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|
3. US Wire 74100
Transport electricity safely with the highly visible US Wire 74100, an excellent choice for any indoor or outdoor construction project. 100 feet of 12-gauge wire wrapped in non-marking high-impact insulation makes this one of the most durable options available.
- lights up when plugged in
- resistant to the elements
- works great even in low temps
|Brand||US Wire and Cable|
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|
2. 360 Electrical Habitat
Available in a wide variety of colors and patterns, the 360 Electrical Habitat shows that a functional item like an extension cable can also be attractive and decorative. This grounded, 3-outlet unit is great for the office, living room, or dormitory.
- angled plug for space efficiency
- comes in 8- or 15-foot lengths
- more flexible than most options
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
1. Watt's Wire Pigtail
Coming in multiple lengths from 2 feet to 100, the Watt's Wire Pigtail offers more functionality than most other cables on the market. It's got three heavy-duty, grounded female outlets, and the end lights up when power is flowing.
- optional ground-fault interrupter
- rugged coating resists abrasion
- durable plug won't corrode or rust
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|