10 Best Micrometers | March 2017
We spent 21 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top choices for this wiki. Essential for mechanical engineering and machining of parts that require precise measurements, digital calipers, or micrometers, provide accurate measurements of small to very small size ranges. Coming in both screw and slide adjustment options, these are very handy for automotive work. Skip to the best micrometer on Amazon.
The Turlen Precision Pocket Thickness Gauge has a rugged metal exterior and an adjustable gauge for a dead zero setting. Its large classic dial is both stylish and easy to read and, more to the point, very hard to misread. Its measuring is up to 1/2 of an inch.
- protective case comes included
- measures metal and paper thickness
- the spring is a bit flimsy
Constructed with a heavy-duty titanium alloy head and a stainless steel frame, the Carrera CP8812-T Digital Caliper is a machinist-grade micrometer that provides superior durability, and measures objects as large as 12 inches.
- thumb wheel allows for easy adjustments
- accurate to within 1/1000th of an inch
- resetting it can be a pain
The Anytime Tools micrometer was custom-designed for auto mechanics working on brakes. It shows inch, metric, and fraction readings on its extra-large LCD display. Its 3.5-inch throat depth accommodates larger brake rotors.
- conical anvils for groove measurement
- good price for the quality
- it is on the bulky side
The Mitutoyo 500-196-30 takes measurements from zero to six inches, and has an advanced electromagnetic inductive sensor for resistance to dirt, oil, and water. A silver oxide battery comes included.
- shows absolute or incremental readings
- measures depth and step values as well
- no auto shutoff function
The Starrett T444.1 Outside Micrometer features a satin chrome rust-resistant finish, with a heat insulator on its frame for preventing temperature-related expansion and contraction. Its carbide exterior will last for years.
- has a vernier scale on its sleeve
- comfortable and easy to handle
- spindle lock keeps measurements stable
The iGaging Set includes an IP54 fluid-resistant micrometer with a large LCD display and two measuring modes. A ground spindle with a carbide anvil improves its longevity. The set represents a great value for two good tools.
- caliper is made from stainless steel
- padded case for both tools is included
- ideal for professional use
The Mitutoyo 293-340-30 micrometer features carbide-tipped measuring faces suitable for use in harsh working conditions. Its ratchet-stop mechanism provides uniform pressure for more accurate readings.
- measurement range of 0 - 1 inch
- plastic components are oil-resistant
- just over a 1-year battery life