The 10 Best Robot Kits
We spent 18 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top picks for this wiki. With home automation taking over the mundanities of household management, self-driving cars roaming the streets, and smartphones guiding us through our daily routines, artificial intelligence is everywhere these days. Building and programming machines isn't just for nerds anymore, and these robot kits make it easy and fun to hone your information-age DIY skills. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best robot kit on Amazon.
10. Smithsonian Robo Spider
The Smithsonian Robo Spider is offered at a surprisingly bargain-bin price point, and the prospect of terrorizing the household with a motorized creepy-crawly may be just the motivation certain young learners need to get excited about STEM education.
- appropriate for ages 8 and up
- plastic parts wear out quickly
- requires adult supervision
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
9. Makeblock DIY
Putting a friendly face on the equivalent of an itty-bitty Sherman tank or whimsical 3-wheeler, the Makeblock DIY starter set employs Scratch 2.0 and Arduino to program and manipulate the plucky little vehicle to your geeky heart's content.
- available in bluetooth or ir version
- connecting to pc may be tricky
- directions leave much to be desired
|Rating||3.6 / 5.0|
7. Thames and Kosmos Smart Machines
Building the 8 customizable motorized bots included in the Thames and Kosmos Smart Machines set provides a multisensory introduction to the fundamentals of robotics design and functionality. Straightforward instructions and preloaded demo programs simplify the process.
- ultrasonic sensor control
- comes with illustrated user guide
- bt-enabled smart device required
|Brand||Thames & Kosmos|
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
6. Owi Robotic Arm Edge
Designed to introduce kids to basic programming and automation concepts via the assembly and coding process, the Owi Robotic Arm Edge has a rotating base and an articulated gripper with a wide range of motion for grasping and manipulating objects within its reach.
- attachable to fixed or mobile base
- good starter project for beginners
- handling tiny parts may be difficult
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
5. Hexbug Vex IQ
The Hexbug Vex IQ combines snap-together components with an open-source design to create STEM learning experiences that are as endlessly entertaining as they are accessible. It comes preloaded with basic programming software and a dozen self-configuring input/output ports.
- includes gaming-style remote control
- no tools required for assembly
- yearly international competitions
|Rating||4.4 / 5.0|
4. Dexter Industries GoPiGo
Taking Raspberry Pi on the road, the Dexter Industries GoPiGo is inexpensive and easy enough for a child to assemble, but every bit as engaging for grown-ups to tinker with. Comprehensive online support and documentation provide a wealth of tools for customizing your Pi.
- programmable using scratch
- smartphone and browser compatible
- no soldering required
|Rating||4.5 / 5.0|
3. Dash and Dot by Wonder Workshop
With their playful design and easy-to-use coding interface, Dash and Dot by Wonder Workshop can charm the socks off aspiring programmers of all ages. They play music and games, launch miniature projectiles and teach problem-solving skills through engaging activities.
- suitable for kids as young as 6
- cross-platform smartphone compatible
- can be used with lego bricks
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|
2. Lego Mindstorms EV3
The name every high-tech tinkering kid has drilled into their parents' brains is Lego Mindstorms EV3, the brick-based set that transforms into multiple prototypes and can be programmed using an intuitive drag-and-drop interface or more advanced coding options.
- comes with various practice missions
- interactive voice control
- well-established online community
|Rating||4.5 / 5.0|
1. Elegoo Mega 2560
The Elegoo Mega 2560 project package offers everything you need to start building and coding with Arduino – at a remarkably painless price point. Backed by a reputation for superior technical support and customer service, it's the ultimate swag for amateur roboticists.
- includes cd with over 35 tutorials
- organizing storage case
- geared toward pre-teens to adults
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|