10 Best Smart Card Readers | March 2017
We spent 27 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. Smart cards are widely acknowledged as one of the most secure and reliable forms of electronic identification, and are beginning to attain widespread use in a variety of civil and military applications. But to get at their data, you'll need one of these smart card readers. Skip to the best smart card reader on Amazon.
The HID IDENTITY OMNIKEY is solidly built and comes with an attachment sticker, so it's great for stationary use by a business computer. It's highly reliable and never struggles to read data, even with federal government security.
- fits in a laptop case
- top-feed slot is easy to access
- some computers will require software
The SCM MicroSystems SmartFold folds down to nearly half of its size when not in use. It's also a discreet white color and hugs the side of your laptop tightly so it's hardly noticeable, making it great for confidential work.
- has a loop through for a keyring
- flips open with a push of a button
- materials aren't very durable
The Iogear GSR202 is useful for a range of applications, including healthcare, transportation and secure network logins. Members of the Navy love it because it can read their protected files from the NKO on their personal computers.
- no software downloads required for a mac
- rubber bottom doesn't scratch your desk
- some computers can't register it
The WEme WM-9313D is made from durable, scratch-resistant aluminum, and comes with a type-C adapter for USB-C devices, like the new Mac Mini. It also holds CF cards snugly and fits in a small camera bag.
- great for transferring high res. images
- wear-resistant pvc plug joint
- must be re-plugged in for each new card
The Gemalto IDBridge supports national ID cards from every country. It also features a clean-looking clear exterior, which offers peace of mind because you can watch the reader work and know it isn't scratching your cards.
- finds required drivers automatically
- firmly holds cards during reading
- extra long usb cord
The Rocketek SCR10 is only 0.3 ounces, and since it doesn't require any cords, it is very portable. It also supports SD extended capacity cards, with the ability to read up to 2TB of data, as well as chip cards.
- simple plug and play installation
- short circuit and thermal protection
- great value for under $15
The Sunshine-tipway 036 is a multi-purpose reader that can read bank, SIM, social security and smart cards. It has an LED light that indicates when it is in use, and when you plug it in, your computer will register it quickly.
- accepts floppy drives
- flat design is great for a desktop
- works with windows xp through windows 10