10 Best Smart Plugs | March 2017
We spent 23 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. Forget about walking over to your coffee machine to turn it on in the morning. Smart plugs are an ingenious way to gain wireless access to your everyday wired electronics. By placing one in-between a wall outlet and an external device, you can control lights, appliances, portable heaters, fans, and more remotely via your smartphone or tablet. Your life will never be the same. Skip to the best smart plug on Amazon.
Get twice the power for half the price with the Hausbell W701. This handy pair of plugs function independently of one another but can be easily controlled at the same time via the UCSmart app. Or you can give one as a gift to a smart home skeptic and convert them forever.
- indicator lights guide setup
- may not be compatible with alexa
- units must be set up separately
For a double-duty device that allows wireless control of an outlet while extending the range of your Wi-Fi network, look no further than the TrendNet Home Smart Switch. Once configured, your outlet can be controlled from anywhere in the world via an iOS or Android app.
- outperforms more expensive extenders
- somewhat difficult to set up
- cuts power when connection is lost
Deter potential intruders with the TP-Link HS110, which features a clever "away mode" that turns lights or appliances on and off at intervals to make it appear as if someone's home while you're gone. It's also compatible with Amazon Echo and Alexa.
- application interface is easy to use
- includes 24-hour technical support
- can't find hidden ssid networks
The WeMo Insight works with any smartphone or tablet running Android 4.1 and higher or iOS 8 and higher. It has a small light to indicate that it's working, and after a power interruption it automatically reconnects to your WiFi network.
- won't cover other outlets
- responds to commands quickly
- takes a while to program
The voice-controllable iDevices Switch is compatible with Siri and Alexa, so you can feel like you're in the future when piping hot coffee or a slow-cooked meal appear at your command. Just make sure you're not a sleep-talker, or you may wake up to some unexpected results.
- features a customizable led strip
- can be controlled by multiple users
- instructions are difficult to follow
Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, Nest, Wink, and Samsung SmartThings, the iHome iSP8 is a truly universal solution that even includes a handheld radio frequency remote for smartphone-free operation. A compact design allows two to be stacked in a single outlet.
- voice-command compatible
- monitors power consumption
- supports appliances up to 1800 watts
|Brand||SDI Technologies INC|
At just 3.2 ounces, the Securifi Peanut is perfect for tossing in your laptop bag or briefcase to remotely control several homes or offices on-the-go, and will stay paired with multiple routers. It also has a built-in monitor that helps you identify energy-hogging devices.
- controllable via any web browser
- compatible with a smartthings hub
- designed for use with almond routers