10 Best Smart Garage Door Openers | January 2017
We spent 27 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. Realizing you may have left the garage door open when you're miles from home can inflict panic; even thinking you've left it open when you're in bed is a major inconvenience. Problem solved with these Wi-Fi garage door openers that are smart enough to keep you constantly in the know and let you control the door from just about anywhere. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best smart garage door opener on Amazon.
If you expect your garage door to be open and waiting for you before your wheels touch your driveway, well, you're a bit impatient, but, more importantly, the Garadget GRT1US tells you exactly what percentage the door is open, so you can adjust your speed accordingly.
- home automation system compatible
- small and unobtrusive
- glare can cause sensor interference
|Rating||3.7 / 5.0|
The LiftMaster MyQ can be used to operate your garage door or gate, making driving home after a long day just a little easier, since you don't need to wait to gain access to your property. It's even capable of controlling outdoor lighting to guide you to your parking spot.
- can control multiple myq devices
- loud open-door alarm
- can only set one user profile
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The GoGogate2 8.44E+12 allows you to supervise the events in your garage from your smartphone using the optional video feature, meaning you can take a peek at your precious sports car from work, and your coworkers won't realize you aren't reading their spreadsheets.
- offers temporary guest access
- shows your garage temperature
- installation can be tricky
|Rating||3.5 / 5.0|
If you keep valuable belongings in your garage or constantly worry that you've left it open, the Home8 H11011US will provide you with peace of mind. It allows you to check in on a live video stream, so you can see exactly what's going on.
- can pair with up to eight cameras
- sends text and email alerts
- audible alarm isn't very loud
|Rating||3.5 / 5.0|
For added safety, the NuTone Z-Wave alerts you with both audible and visual notifications before opening or closing your garage door. The system also features an advanced encryption that makes it nearly impossible for unauthorized users to hack it.
- mounting hardware is included
- sensitive motion detection
- requires the use of a z-wave gateway
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Gargeio 1V allows you to control and check the status of three garage doors, so you can always rest easy your car is safe whether at your home, office, or a rental property. If you accidentally leave a garage door open, you can close it with one swipe on your phone.
- can authorize additional users
- alexa-enabled for voice commands
- comes with an intuitive app
|Rating||4.3 / 5.0|
When you download the app for the Brocel GarageDoorBuddy, you'll be immediately guided through easy-to-understand instructions and visual prompts that make the process of setting up high-tech gadgets feel a little less frustrating.
- doesn't need to be near a router
- responds to commands instantly
- never sounds false alarms
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
The Nexx Garage NXG-100 is as advanced as garage door openers come, allowing you to control it from your smart watch, phone, or Alexa-enabled device. Wherever you are, you will probably have an accessory nearby with which you can access this system.
- motion sensor opens the door for you
- works with most garage door brands
- notifies you when the door is open
|Rating||4.5 / 5.0|
You don't need to spend a lot of money to keep your vehicle, not to mention all of the other valuables you store near it, safe. The budget-friendly GarageMate GM2540-W communicates with up to eight phones, so your entire family can monitor the garage.
- very easy to set up
- works in extreme temperatures
- garagemate app logs your activity
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|
The Chamberlain Whisper Drive has a combination of traditional garage opener traits, like a belt drive system and the ability to run on a built-in battery, with modern advancements, like an auto-close feature that shuts the door after it's been open for a few minutes.
- comes with two remote controls
- impressively quiet operation
- still works during a power outage
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|