The 8 Best Tanning Lotions
We spent 27 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. If you don't have the cash or the time to take a break in the sun this year, but still want that healthy glow, try one of these tanning lotions. Turn the heat up and make yourself a frozen drink, and at least you can pretend you're lying on a beach. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best tanning lotion on Amazon.
8. Neutrogena Build-A-Tan
For a hint of color that you can build upon slowly and almost naturally, try the Neutrogena Build-A-Tan gradual tanner today. It dries in five minutes and leaves a fresh scent along with its subtle darkening.
- control your tan shade
- very affordable price point
- not designed for use on the face
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
7. Jergens Natural Glow Moisturizer
Jergens Natural Glow Moisturizer is a great daily moisturizer and self-tanning lotion. It's extremely easy to use and apply; just treat it like your standard moisturizer and rub it everywhere after a shower.
- infused with vitamin e
- dha provides gradual color release
- has an unpleasant smell
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
6. Bare Minerals Faux Tanner
The Bare Minerals Faux Tanner from Bare Esentuals gives you a subtle but long-lasting tan while also providing your skin with deep hydration, something sunshine certain can't do. This is a pricey, but effective, option.
- aloe vera keeps skin hydrated
- no parabens or artificial oils
- makes skin only slightly darker
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
5. Sun Self Tanning Lotion
If you need to get a deep tan ASAP but want to do it while staying out of the harmful sun or tanning salon, go with the Sun Self Tanning Lotion. This lotion lets you keep your tan for days and works in just three hours.
- non-clogging and good for all skin types
- natural sugar-based formula
- sometimes leaves streaks
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
4. Clarins Self Tanning Gel
Feel younger and healthier with the tan glow achieved after applications of the Clarins Self Tanning Gel. It has a greaseless texture and leaves skin shimmering and healthy looking, and, above all, like it tanned slowly in the sun.
- naturally-derived sugar tanner
- uses argan oil to keep skin soft
- gel is sticky until rubbed in
|Rating||4.2 / 5.0|
3. Clinique Self Sun Tinted Lotion
Tan your body with the Clinique Self Sun Tinted Lotion and everyone will be asking you where you went on vacation. Daily applications help you maintain your color without darkening your skin more than you'd like.
- great for face, neck and chest
- gives airbrush-like tan
- instant glow and lasting results
|Rating||4.5 / 5.0|
2. Tarte Brazilliance Maracuja Tanner
The Tarte Brazilliance Maracuja Tanner will make your skin look like you just returned from a sunny vacation on the beaches of Brazil. An application mitt comes included with your order and makes easy, even applying a breeze.
- doesn't look orange or fake
- good reviews from users
- maracuja leaves skin soft
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|
1. Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess
Bronze up your skin beautifully with the Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess tinted self tan solution. It lacks the fake smell that other self tanners have, and instead smells wonderful. It will also fool even the most discerning eyes.
- clinically developed formula
- light and airy feel
- highly moisturizing lotion
|Rating||4.8 / 5.0|