7 Best Belay Devices | April 2017
If you're planning an ascent up and descent down a mountain, you need to make sure you have all the right safety equipment. One of these belay devices will arrest any falls safely and keep you on track. They are also great for use in climbing gyms. Skip to the best belay device on Amazon.
The Black Diamond Big Air XP package comes with a belay device and a locking carabiner, so all you need is a harness, a rope, and a mountain to climb up or rappel down. It's priced to sell and is a great primary or backup device. It offers a 3 time greater hold too.
- features a high friction mode
- pearabiner screw gate carabiner
- good for use in climbing gyms
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
The Wild Country Pro Guide Lite belay device can work with ropes as slender as 7.7 millimeters in diameter, but also accommodates ropes as thick as 1.1 centimeters. It is extremely lightweight, which you'll appreciate at altitude.
- high efficiency breaking slots
- fully ce certified
- extra fast locking in fall scenarios
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
The Fusion Titan Terminal 8 Descender is a great choice for the solo climber with lots of rappels in front of him or her, or for belaying in teams of two. It is made from rigid and durable aluminum, and comes in black or silver.
- large diameter for lots of rope/hardware
- "ears" allow for an easy tie off
- good choice for fire or rescue personnel
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
The Petzl Reverso 4 Belay Device features carabiner holes that make it easy for you to lock into a fixed protection point, offering your teammates the safest possible belay. Its design also makes gradual load release easy.
- forged aluminum body
- good reviews from users
- v-shaped friction channels
|Rating||4.3 / 5.0|
The Trango Cinch belay device features an auto-locking mechanism, making it a good choice for perilous routes where there are few spots for a proper belay to be set up. It can work with dynamic climbing ropes of almost any thickness.
- 182 gram total weight
- excellent assisted braking
- easy to pay out slack when on belay
|Rating||4.7 / 5.0|
The Black Diamond ATC Guide belay device is low cost, but effective, and well-respected by climbers. It offers multiple friction modes for rappelling and belaying, and is a great choice for instructors in climbing gyms.
- machined windows reduce its weight
- cable resists snagging on ropes
- allows for belay of one or two climbers
|Rating||4.7 / 5.0|
The Petzl GriGri 2 Belay Device is an expert-level climbing tool perfect for guides or for experienced teams undertaking challenging climbs requiring maximum caution. It offers safe assisted braking and works for single rope descent.
- ideal for ropes between 8.9 mm and 11 mm
- works for solo climbs or belaying leader
- free climbing dvd with purchase
|Rating||4.9 / 5.0|