5 Companies That Sell Quality Art Supplies
From beginners and hobbyists to professionals, all artists need supplies in order to create. If you're looking for the right paint, pigment, or paper for your next project, you've come to the right place. Whether your passion is landscape painting, bookmaking, or interior design, check out the five companies listed here. This video was made with Ezvid Wikimaker.
Businesses That Offer Artists Quality Products
|Dunn-Edwards||Interior & exterior paints and primers|
|Sea Rose Cottage||Decorative paint, vintage items, and home goods|
|Vasari Classic Artists' Oil Colors||Oil colors, oil grounds, instructional resources, and gift sets|
|Two Hands Paperie||Decorative paper, journals & notebooks, stationary, writing instruments, and more|
|Kremer Pigmente||Pigments, dyes, glues, gilding materials, brushes, and more|
Tips For Being More Creative
- Ask questions
- Learn more about any topic you find interesting
- Bring a sketch pad with you when you go out
- Make time to play, no matter how old you get
- Keep a journal
- Don't be afraid to take risks
- Carry a camera with you
- Do something creative every day, even if it's small
8 Great Films About Art
- Frida (2002)
- Pollock (2000)
- Surviving Picasso (1996)
- Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
- Moulin Rouge (1952)
- Mr. Turner (2014)
- Basquiat (1996)
- Loving Vincent (2017)
Arts Education in America
- 91% of Americans agree that the arts are "part of a well-rounded education"
- 93% to 94% believe that students in elementary, middle, and high school should receive an education in the arts
- 74% agree that the arts help students to perform better academically
- Nationally, more than 40% of secondary schools did not require arts courses for graduation for the 2009-2010 school year
- Federal funding for arts & humanities is around $250 million a year, while the National Science Foundation is funded at around the $5 billion mark
- Arts and music education programs are mandatory in countries that rank near the top for math and science test scores, like Japan, Hungary, and the Netherlands
- According to a nationwide study, 63% of eighth-graders took a music class, and 42% took a visual arts class
- Students in the Northeast were twice as likely (68%) to have taken a visual arts class than students in the South (35%)
- Students eligible for free and reduced-price lunch, which is often used as a proxy to identify low-income students, scored an average of 26 points lower in music than those not eligible and 22 points lower in visual arts
- In the District of Columbia, 75% of white students took an art course, compared to 49% of black students
The Healing Powers Of Art
If you're looking for high quality art supplies, you've come to the right place. Whether you're passionate about bookbinding, oil painting, or anything in between, there are tons of companies working to take your masterpiece to the next level. Here, in no particular order, are five businesses that offer everything you need to inspire your next creative aspiration.
Up first, in the #1 spot is Dunn-Edwards. In 1925, the company began as a small family shop in Los Angeles, and has since grown to become one of the country's leading manufacturers and distributors of paints and painting supplies. Many landmarks and iconic structures across the Southwest, including Universal Studios Hollywood, are painted with Dunn-Edwards paint.
You can choose from more than 2,000 colors of high-quality paint from the Dunn-Edwards Perfect Palette, and the company provides professional-looking products for both interior and exterior painting projects. In 2011, it opened the world's first and only LEED Gold-certified paint manufacturing facility in Phoenix, cementing it as a leader in environmentally conscious products.
You can choose from more than 2,000 colors of high-quality paint from the Dunn-Edwards Perfect Palette, and the company provides professional-looking products for both interior and exterior painting projects.
Coming in at #2 is Sea Rose Cottage. Located in a historic home in Bristol, Rhode Island, this decorative paint, vintage and interiors shop is also a working studio for artist Nancy Chace. The shop exemplifies Chace's love of painted furniture, antique and vintage finds, and all things design.
Sea Rose Cottage offers art supplies and one-of-a-kind vintage finds that are perfect for creating colorful, quaint interiors. It was the first location in New England to sell the innovative and versatile Chalk Paint developed by renowned decorative painter Annie Sloan. It also carries an ever changing variety of decorative knobs and hardware for furniture and cabinetry.
At #3 is Vasari Classic Artists' Oil Colors, a line of handcrafted oil paints featuring a very high pigment content, vibrant chroma, and high tinting strength. Established by paintmaker Stephen Salek, it has remained one of the only owner-operated paint companies in existence, passionately following 19th century methods of handcrafting and selling colors directly to painters.
Established by paintmaker Stephen Salek, it has remained one of the only owner-operated paint companies in existence, passionately following 19th century methods of handcrafting and selling colors directly to painters.
The paints are crafted in small batches, and every tube is filled by hand in New York. These traditional methods of paint-making are used to achieve purity of color and lush consistency. The company's oil paints do not contain fillers, wax, commercial thickening agents, or additives. The selection includes traditional colors, as well as modern pigments and an exclusive line of proprietary colors.
#4 on our list is Two Hands Paperie in Boulder, Colorado. What began as a small offering of hand-bound books and decorative paper in 1993 has grown into a collection of hundreds of journals and notebooks, and over thirty racks of decorative paper. This shop also carries cards, books, art supplies, fine writing instruments, and unique gifts from around the world.
The store's eclectic mix of products supports a community of local artists and cooperatives, and its paper selection represents every corner of the globe. It also offers printing services and bookbinding supplies to see the process through. The shop hosts many classes on topics such as visual journaling, and free events such as book signings and artists' lectures.
The shop hosts many classes on topics such as visual journaling, and free events such as book signings and artists' lectures.
And finally, in the #5 spot is Kremer Pigmente. Since 1977, this German company has been offering historical pigments for restoration, sophisticated painting and monument conservation. Its assortment includes over one thousand mineral pigments made from precious and semiprecious stones, including lapis lazuli.
The historical palette also includes genuine sepia, smalt, and lead tin yellow. The formulations of these historic pigments had previously been lost to industrial paint production. Other painting and conservation supplies, such as natural dyes, modern synthetic pigments, chemicals, and additives are also available. The company operates a branch in New York City for convenient American shipping.