The 9 Best Pull Buoys
We spent 18 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top picks for this wiki. Serious swimmers know that they can increase their core and upper body strength, as well as improve their stroke and hip rotation, by using one of these pull buoys during training in the pool. They are equally as useful for physical rehabilitation, as they can improve mobility and muscle strength in a low-impact manner. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work. Skip to the best pull buoy on Amazon.
9. Arena Freeflow
The Arena Freeflow is made of a special blend of 80% polyethylene and 20% polypropylene, designed to float with ease and last for years. It comes in your choice of color schemes and boasts a hydrodynamic figure-8 shape to limit drag.
- handsome french design
- regular hand washing recommended
- a bit smaller than most adult models
|Rating||4.0 / 5.0|
8. Tyr Unisex Float
The basic but reliable Tyr Unisex Float is a great choice for anyone from the casual swimmer to the competitive athlete who's looking to get the most productive upper body and aerobic training out of their aquatic workouts.
- available with a patriotic design
- helpful with isolation exercises
- material feels a bit cheap
|Rating||3.9 / 5.0|
7. TheraBand Webbed Float Aid
The TheraBand Webbed Float Aid comes in three different lengths, so swimmers of all ages and sizes can use it to hone their skills and strength. Each unit features an adjustable connective strap for an even more personalized fit.
- made of high density foam
- useful as a teaching tool
- can cause chafing with extended use
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
6. Finis Foam
The Finis Foam can be held between your thighs or ankles for upper body strength training. Its sturdy EVA foam construction is designed to be comfortable and non-chafing, and won't easily slip from its position while you're working out.
- available in adult and junior sizes
- helps improve stroke symmetry
- may be too narrow for larger thighs
|Rating||4.1 / 5.0|
5. Huub Design Big Swim
Larger and more buoyant than most models on the market, the Huub Design Big Swim is a great choice for heavier swimmers who need that extra flotation. Its symmetrical shape helps improve your body's alignment during training.
- stays put even during flip turns
- weighs just 4 ounces
- a bit awkward for smaller users
|Rating||3.8 / 5.0|
4. Aqua Sphere
It may not be the prettiest looking option, but the Aqua Sphere is a low cost and high quality swim training aid that will help you improve your speed and core strength. It is designed with ergonomics in mind and comfortably stays in between your legs while in use.
- closed cell foam won't absorb water
- durable construction lasts for years
- comes with two-year limited warranty
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|
3. Tyr Sport Junior
The Tyr Sport Junior was designed with the younger, albeit serious, swimmer in mind, so get one for your kid who wants to make a splash on the swim team. It's made of a high-quality EVA foam, and is also useful for adults on the smaller side.
- aids in building upper body strength
- four-and-three-quarter-inches thick
- available in two duotone designs
|Rating||4.6 / 5.0|
2. Finis Axis
The Finis Axis wraps comfortably but snugly around both ankles, meaning you don't have to apply pressure to keep it between your legs as you go about your swim. It provides a nice change for swimmers used to models that tend to slip out of place.
- hydrodynamic shape
- helps improve hip rotation
- lightly textured for a good grip
|Rating||4.7 / 5.0|
1. Speedo Team Training Aid
From one of the most respected names in aquatic accessories comes the Speedo Team Training Aid, which helps elevate the hips and legs to improve a swimmer's form. Use it when you want to focus on stroke technique and bodily rotation.
- asymmetrical for a variable fit
- durable eva foam construction
- eye-catching design
|Rating||5.0 / 5.0|